How to Structure Your Job Advertising Campaign


How to Structure Your Job Advertising Campaign

When determining how to structure campaigns for your job advertising, there are a lot of options. It can be overwhelming at times, which leads to paralysis and no changes being made.

The best results in structuring your job advertising focuses on your business goals. It’s vital to structure or group those jobs into campaigns in ways that will help you reach your business goals.

Let’s dig into what all this means, and provide some actionable takeaways in structuring your job advertising campaigns.

What Is A Job Advertising Campaign?

By campaign, we mean a group of jobs. The commonality between the jobs can be a variety of factors, but the best success in job advertising comes in grouping jobs by some characteristic that meets your business goals.

Just sponsoring all jobs in a one-off fashion won’t lead to great results. When jobs are in a campaign, it’s much easier to put a weekly or monthly budget on those jobs. For example, Campaign A could make up 66% of your business, so it should get 66% of your budget. Campaign B makes up the other 34% and will get the corresponding amount of budget.

Take your campaigns to the next level and use some sort of technology (possibly programmatic software) to make sure spend doesn’t get eaten up by a handful of jobs. Runaway jobs are exactly that – a small amount of jobs that bring an unusually high amount of applications by using a disproportionate budget.

For example, a campaign of 50 jobs may have 5 jobs that use up 40% of the budget and bring 50% of the overall applications in that campaign. By using software to implement a rule where you stop at “X amount of applies” – then you can have the sponsorship stop of that job and it trickles down to other jobs.

Campaigns are a great way to get jobs into a group where you can allocate the right amount of spend to meet your business goals.

How to Structure Your Campaigns

Some of the most common ways to structure campaigns are:

  • Geography
  • High Priority / Low Priority
  • Industry
  • High-volume jobs
  • Any combination of the above

A company in Northeast Ohio would structure its job into priority jobs, direct hire jobs, and a local city – creating three campaigns to meet their business needs. A company in Florida structures two campaigns – one for accounting jobs and one for admin jobs. A client in California structures jobs into clinical jobs and non-clinical jobs, and then breaks those jobs down into high, medium, and low.

The natural follow-up is – “how do I get my jobs to automatically flow into campaigns?” Two common tactics work really well:

  • Put a hashtag at the bottom of the job description – software will then scan for that hashtag and if it’s programmed correctly, jobs will flow naturally in and out of the campaigns.
  • Use a custom field in your ATS – this tactic gets a little technical but if you have a custom field in your ATS, then switching that value of the field will flow through the XML feed and move jobs around.

Need Help with Your Recruitment Marketing?

For additional insight into structuring your job ad campaigns – or fleshing out any and all aspects of your successful recruitment strategy – contact Haley Marketing today.

Why People Love Working With Haley Marketing

Map Marker, Map and Recruitment Marketing Star Icon

Free Recruitment Marketing Roadmap

Let us review everything you are doing now and layout a roadmap to getting more job orders filled.